6 Annual October 04, 2012 to October 14, 2012
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The mission of the GOTHAM SCREEN Film Festival & Screenplay Competition is to create an opportunity for filmmakers to have their work shown and critically judged in New York. The festival aims to create a positive industry and audience exposure for works that would otherwise not easily get seen, and for new writing, directing and acting talent to get discovered.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The 6th Annual GOTHAM SCREEN Film Festival and Screenplay Contest will take place October 4-14, 2012 in New York City.
Following the success of the 2011 edition, this years event has been expanded to showcase more short and feature films during a week of screenings at the storied Quad Cinema in Manhattan, New York City, and other locations.
Gotham Screen is looking for fresh voices and perspectives from local, national and international filmmakers.
The 2012 Screenplay Contest comes again with a $2,500 cash prize for the winning screenplay! In addition, excerpts from selected contest entries will be performed live by professional actors at a staged reading during the festival.
Recognizing the need for quality projects in the industry, and realizing that this need can not always be satisfied by established writers with agency representation, the GOTHAM SCREEN Screenplay Competition has been set up with the goal to find the Next Great Screenplay, and to give previously undiscovered writers a chance at getting their craft recognized and their projects produced.
The GOTHAM SCREEN Screenplay Competition specializes in lower- to mid- range budgeted projects. We are actively looking for scripts that can be produced with budgets in the 2-15m dollar range. While we realize that great writing exists beyond this range, the GOTHAM SCREEN Screenplay competition is not the appropriate venue for it. Our targeted budget range will most likely exclude high budget action or special effects driven stories, most science fiction, many epics and/or historic movies, as well as most animation projects.
Producers and Financiers have as much interest in great stories and screenplays, as the struggling writer has to get her or his next project onto the screen. Realizing that this is a two way relationship that calls for a new kind of approach, GOTHAM SCREEN strives to find projects and writers that can have a real chance in the marketplace.
Alex Blakeney ; Michael Gunther (Festival Registrar) ; Michael Gunther (Festival Registrar) ; Walter Gamper ; Walter Gamper
– Entrants must fully comply with the Entry Rules & Regulations, including deadline(s), entry material requirements and selected film requirements. Submitting to GOTHAM SCREEN constitutes acceptance of these Rules, Regulations and Requirements.
– The GOTHAM SCREEN Film Festival and Screenplay Contest is open to everyone. You must be 18 years or older (21 in some states) to participate, or have written consent from your parent or guardian.
– Screenplay submissions must be in English, Film submissions must be in English, or subtitled in English.
– International submissions are encouraged, as long as they are in English (screenplays and English language films), or subtitled in English (non-English language films).
– Multiple entries are admissible, but each entry must be accompanied by its own separate submission. You may submit more than one screenplay per writer, or more than one film per director, and you may submit more than one film or screenplay per category
– Contest winners and selected films will be notified by early-October 2012 (approximately). You must give us a valid e-mail address to be notified.
OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES • Select a Category of Entry to continue.
|While we are looking for great stories of any kind, we are encouraging submissions in the following genres:
Selected entries in this category can made available to the industry (upon request, and with the submitters agreement only), and a number of previous participants and winners have had their work optioned or were further commissioned by producers and production companies.
|Gotham Screen each year shows an eclectic mix of US and International Feature Films, from both new directors as well as established filmmakers. Our sophisticated New York audiences like to be surprised, scared, moved and entertained, and appreciate the craft of great storytelling. Among them the occasional scouts from major sales- and distribution companies have been known to attend the screenings as well, and subsequently contact selected filmmakers of interesting movies.|
|One of our favorite audience categories! A number of Short Films of different genres, lengths and formats, from both US and International filmmakers, are shown each year to a discerning and enthusiastic audience.|
|Feature-length documentary films, over 45 minutes in runtime. Documentary shorts should be submitted to the Short Film category. Another audience favorite – documentary screenings have drawn good responses from audiences looking for something new and different.|
|STUDENT / EXPERIMENTAL|
|Our newest category is specifically for student and experimental filmmakers who want to be critically judged against their peers. They are usually shown together with other short film entries, but are judged as a separate category. And if your film is really exceptional, it even has a chance to win the coveted “Best Short Film” award and cash prize!|